Friday, August 17, 2012

Zucchini Carpaccio

Even though this dish is not Vegan, it is vegetarian and it is so good, yet so simple! I ate this eight days ago (it was my one slip-up off the Vegan wagon, but I haven't slipped since).

One zucchini serves two people. Zucchini Carpaccio is raw, as the name suggests, but it is so refreshing and full of fresh flavor. The simplicity of this recipe is also the beauty of this recipe because it celebrates the flavor of zucchini.

Finely shave a zucchini in long ribbon stripes. Use a "Y" vegetable peeler for easy ribbons. In a bowl, whisk together the juice of one lemon, chopped fresh thyme (one teaspoon), and approximately two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over zucchini. Let sit for at least 15 minutes so the lemon juice can start to wilt the zucchini ever so slightly. Add shaved parmigiano reggiano and gently toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as an appetizer/salad course or side dish.

If you are looking for a new way to serve zucchini, this zucchini carpaccio is a winner and reminds me of a fancy bistro salad (but you can do it at home for a fraction of the price!). The next time I make this, I will have to omit the parmigiano reggiano cheese if I want to stick to  Vegan meals. So now I am on a mission to find a vegan parmesan cheese subtitute!


No comments:

Post a Comment