Friday, August 24, 2012

Baked Kale Chips with Nutritional Yeast

If you are a chip-a-holic like I am, you might like these baked kale chips. I made my first batch and I love them! The key to crispy baked kale chips is making sure the kale is dry before you add oil.

Set oven to 275 degrees F.

Tear kale into pieces and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with Nutritional Yeast and a pinch of sea salt. Do not over salt--a tiny bit goes a long way. Massage the oil into the leaves to coat.

Set a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet. Scatter kale evenly over the cooling rack. Bake for 10 minutes. Check. Turn kale gently. Bake for additional 5-10 minutes or until crisp. I just eyeball it until it is crispy.

Yum!!! This is an amazing snack! I am smitten! This snack doesn't keep well stored, so try to eat it in one sitting (not hard for me to do!). This is a great way to eat a kale salad on-the-go and it is a wonderful way to sneak a super food into snack time in a crunchy chip form! Kale chips are light and crispy, nutty and satisfying--the texture almost reminds me of roasted seaweed. I am going to keep experimenting with different ways to prepare kale chips because the possibilities are endless! I bought a bundle of kale for $0.79 at Berkeley Bowl Market and made these kale chips myself instead of paying over $6 for a small bag of pre-made kale chips at Whole Foods Market. Victory for homemade food! Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment