Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tofu Vegetarian Banh Mi Sandwich

What a treat--a Banh Mi sandwich...with fresh French Bread! I had a Tofu Vegetarian Banh Mi Sandwich today, minus the mayonnaise. It was a true test of will power not to order a BBQ Chicken or Pork Banh Mi from my favorite Vietnamese Deli, but I really wanted to stick to my goals. It is definitely easier to stick to Vegan meals at home, but I need to learn how to navigate through menus at restaurants on the rare occasion that I actually eat out. At least I remembered to order the Vietnamese sandwich without mayo--it's healthier for me anyway and it's a habit I should have embraced long ago. At least I got to indulge in super fresh French bread that Banh Mi sandwiches are known for! I was surprised that the tofu on the Banh Mi was like tofurkey or tofu deli-style slices of fake meat. It was interesting. Visually, it looked like turkey slices. It tasted okay, too, very similar to deli turkey--salty and not soft and mushy like I would have imagined the tofu to be.

Baby steps...I am making changes and from now on if I hit a Vietnamese deli, I will order the tofu sandwich or tofu fresh rolls. I just need to find out if they put fish sauce in the dipping sauce. Does anyone know if they do?


No comments:

Post a Comment