Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Problem with Low Carb Diets

The problem with the low carb diet is that it makes people tired and cranky! I have tried to reduce or eliminate the bad carbs, like white bread, from my diet and load up on protein (chicken or fish) and veggies, but more often than not, it left me still hungry and feeling icky after a few days. It just wasn't satisfying because eating too much meat was not good for me--it wasn't giving me the energy I needed to get through my day without feeling hunger pangs and blood sugar dips in the afternoon. Plus, it made me crave carbs even more because they were so "forbidden." I realize now that carbs are important as a source of good energy--it's just a matter of finding a better source of carbs that don't spike my blood sugar levels. And now I have found that source: beans, legumes and whole grains! I am so satisfied after eating beans, legumes or whole grains along with veggies that I don't need a big pile of rice or pasta or bread to hold me over like I used to (I definitely still eat pasta but just not as often and when I do, I am sticking to a vegan sauce). The beans and grains are enough! They are a terrific source of good carbs for me and I now I actually enjoy designing my meals around beans or whole grains, instead of meat and simple carbs.

I am on day six of eating vegan meals (and day ten of vegetarian meals) and my body is definitely going through an animal detox phase right now. I am changing my habits and reaching for different foods and it is changing my appetite and tastebuds, which is great. The more healthy food I eat, the more healthy food I want. It is a nice, unexpected cycle of positive energy. Plus, now I get to try new dishes along the way--that's the funnest part of this challenge (well, that and the fact that I have already lost about five pounds without even starving myself!).

No comments:

Post a Comment