Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Omnivore No More?


I have a problem: I am an obsessed foodie--all I think about is food and what to make for my next meal.
But, I need a makeover.
After reading Skinny Bitch and having some conversations with my friend, who is becoming a Vegan, I have decided that I need to make some serious changes in my life, as well.  She has lost over 7 lbs, since she has been cooking Vegan meals and that was very inspirational. No counting carbs, no counting calories, no muss, no fuss. Just eliminate animals and animal products--let that be your guide to healthy eating. She has inspired me to think and to work on changing my eating habits, because that's all they are, habits.
This year has presented some interesting issues for me (when I say interesting, I mean that they have lingered in my head and have buzzed around for months, making me question who I am and what I can do to help myself change for the betterment of my health) and I will discuss them briefly here:
1. Earlier this year, I applied for a job and to make a long story short, I didn't get it because I was not like-minded, I was not a Vegan.  The employer was Vegan and really wanted a Vegan assistant, someone "like-minded" and that was understandable. I did not know this when I applied, of course, because it was not stated in the job announcement that this work was Vegan-related. I am an honest person and I told the employer that I did not eat beef, but that I ate dairy, poultry, pork and fish. At that time, I did not know any better. I was ignorant. I was naive. I am a foodie obsessed with eating good food, after all. I was a Vegetarian when I was younger (I stopped eating beef when I was 11 and I tried to be a vegetarian back then, but it was hard and I did not know how to do it safely and properly by eating the right kinds of foods, so I inevitably failed. I started eating chicken and fish again). I did not know much about Vegans, except that Vegans do not eat animals or animal products. Beyond that, I was pretty much in the dark. I had no idea that Vegans wear that badge of identity with pride and that it is more of a lifestyle and philosophy or ethical decision, than just a diet. Vegans have so many reasons behind their dietary choice. Simply put, I had no idea, until I started reading more about it and listening to Vegan podcasts. The issues that Vegans discuss are very...intense. I had no idea. Vegans believe so many things that I never even thought about. I had no idea...
2. My blood sugar levels were tested in the pre-diabetic range last year. I know what I am supposed to do: exercise and eat right. Easier said than done. I have tried to cut down on sugar (I don't like too many sweets anyway, so that isn't too difficult for me, but I wasn't being honest with myself all the time and occasionally, I'd have dessert!). I know I am supposed to eat more whole foods, especially fruits low in sugar and vegetables. I know all this, but I wasn't doing it on a daily basis. I know I need to be healthier, but I just didn't have the motivation or the knowledge of how to do it successfully. I was stuck in my own cooking ruts and enjoyed cooking the things that were familiar or easy.
I am a carb addict. I love carbs. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot say "no" to food. If you offer me food, I will say, "yes." If you offer me seconds, I will say, "yes." I should be saying, "no." I should be opting for healthier food. I should be eating a plant-based diet! That will help me design my meals around fruits, vegetables and whole grains, instead of meat. That will force me to to eat better, right?
Go figure, last week, I got sick all of a sudden. Someone suggested, maybe it was a food allergy? Something I ate? Could it be? I ate myself sick? Getting sick was all my fault for being less than healthy? That got me thinking. My taste buds were dulled, so I started making vegetarian soups to nurse myself back to health. Soup: the easiest vegetarian transitional food. It is so filling and comforting. I ate soups for four days. Then I got to thinking, if I can do it for four days, why not more? I wanted to see how long I could eat vegetarian meals since the momentum was already there. I knew I could not commit to being a Vegan right away, but I could taper down and try to be a Vegetarian.
It is time for a makeover. I need to wake up and own my choices. I need to make smarter choices and be kind to my body. I need to eat more vegetarian meals. Going Vegan seems so overwhelming and so impossible. How do you even begin? How could I give up dairy? I love cheese and I have to have 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee! Could I ever be a Vegan? I do not know, but I am going to try to be a Vegetarian first and taper my diet down as much as possible to eliminate as many animal products as possible. Getting rid of meat is "easy," it's the dairy that will pose the most difficulty for me. But, baby steps...
I am setting goals. I am aiming to give up one or two things at a time. I want to taper down and make changes slowly. This week, I am giving up 1/2 and 1/2 and butter. I bought my first tub of Earth Balance to replace my butter and Soy creamer for my coffee. So far, so good. I can handle those substitutions.
Eventually, I would like to see if I could handle a Vegan diet (yesterday marked the first day I ate entirely Vegan! But that was just one day, I need to work on changing my habits and making that a goal to work towards). But that won't happen right away, so be patient with me. I am trying. Baby steps.
I do not know if I can do it, but this blog will help me explore and share my foodie makeover.
Omnivore no more? I am going to try to switch to a Vegetarian diet, one meal at a time, one day at a time. With the help and inspiration of my friends, here goes my foodie makeover!







No comments:

Post a Comment