Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Eating out at Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill: Veganized Balsamic Roasted Veggie Salad

Eating out can be hard for Vegans because almost everywhere you go, everything has meat or dairy built into it!  But, if I want to stick to this new lifestyle, I need to learn to read menus closely and scan them for Vegan-friendly options.  I went to Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill yesterday and ordered my favorite salad: Rubio's Balsamic Roasted Veggie Salad.  I made a special request and asked for no chicken or cheese and then asked for black beans instead.  The manager, who took my order, was very nice and he took off a $1 since I asked for the salad without chicken!  He did not charge me anything extra for the black beans, which was very cool. So, the salad went from $5.99 to $4.99!  I saved a buck because I "Veganized" it and the manager was more than happy to take my special request because everything at Rubio's is made to order! Yay!  This Balsamic Roasted Veggie Salad had a nice tang to it.  Of course, I had to douse it with my favorite salsa, the roasted chipotle salsa.  This salad is one of the healthiest meals on the menu (even with the chicken calculated into it) with 310 calories, 20g protein and 11g fat.  While I don't know the nutritional breakdown of the chicken-less and cheese-free salad that I special ordered, it's okay because I know it was yummy, filling and it fit the Vegan bill.  Best of all, it kept me on track!



Rubio's Balsamic Roasted Veggie salad usually consists of: Marinated grilled chicken, fire-roasted corn, roasted peppers and onions, buttery Hass Avocado slices, a cilantro/onion mix and cotija cheese on a romaine and spring lettuce mix, topped with red and green cabbage. Drizzled with light balsamic vinaigrette made with extra virgin olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment